Lee County recognizes the importance and the positive impact volunteers can have in a school system. Many schools have states that the support of their volunteers was a vital part of their school’s success. The overall effectiveness and efficiency of a school is increased due to the work of its volunteers.
Volunteers can enhance a child’s learning by:
- Assisting the classroom teachers by preparing materials, facilitating a learning center, and/or providing one-on-one teaching for individual students
- Mentoring students to be confident in their academic and social abilities and to become productive citizens
- Provide assistance to create a safe and secure environment for all students in other areas such as the media center, front office, and cafeteria.
- Assisting with planning and chaperoning field trips, after-school interest groups or sports, and in-school events
Expectations of Volunteers
As a school district, we have high expectations of our volunteers to be professional and respectful with the faculty and staff within the school and maintain confidentiality when discussing students.
- All volunteers will go through a criminal history background, both state and national.
- All volunteers will complete the Volunteer Orientation Program prior to going in a school.
- Volunteers should be on time for their assignments and notify the school if running late or will be absent.
- All volunteers should conduct themselves as role models for students by setting a good example in their behavior, appearance, and actions towards students, teachers, and other staff members.
- To contribute in a meaningful way to a child’s educational growth
- To gain knowledge of how schools must function (curriculum, programs, policies, and expectations)
- To gain individual attention from a caring adult
- To discover there are others that care about their success in learning
- To increase the interaction and relationship between the school and the community
- To develop a sense of pride and build on a positive school culture
We encourage parents, community members, and business partners to join our mission to make a difference in students’ lives and share your time within our schools. You will find volunteering in the school district to be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please click on the link below and complete the application and email to TBA at Coming Soon or mail to the Lee County Public Education Center C/O School Development, 2855 Colonial Blvd., Fort Myers, FL 33966.